Uncertainty over Brexit is ruining our personal lives | Zoe Williams

Britons are so drenched in unknowables that we can’t make any decisions at all, from hobbies and holidays to housing

In 25 years of covering British politics – overstating outrages, decrying terrible ideas that have already happened, wishing someone else were in charge (someone more like me) – I have never been here before. I don’t mean: “I’ve never looked at the ranks of government with such distaste and despair,” because there was no way of knowing, 10 years ago, that things would get this much worse. No, I mean, I’ve never felt the public realm bleed so relentlessly into my personal life that I’m drenched in unknowables and can’t make any decisions at all.

All questions end: “Wait and see what happens in March, I guess.” “Do we move house?” is merely the headline uncertainty that probably only affects a few. Where do you go on holiday when you don’t know what’s going to happen to the pound? This stuff matters. I have a friend who went to France last year and spent £25 on a chicken in a market. She said: “You know if you got mugged by your own parent? That’s what it tasted like.”

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2tGJZEp

No comments

Powered by Blogger.